This is not something really new. Cebu Pacific‘s Web Check-In feature has been around for quite sometime. More so for international airlines who have had it way earlier. I’ve tried it first with Singapore Airlines early this year in Singapore but only documented it now via this blog for sharing; in time for my flight to Malaysia later.
Basically, Cebu Pacific’s ‘web check-in‘ is getting the traditional face-to-face ‘check-in‘ from the airports and bringing it ahead through an online transaction to reduce the usual physical lines.
To further encourage this, local airlines such as Cebu Pacific has installed special airport check-in lines for those who have checked-in via the web.
This takes away the burden of queuing in long lines or waiting for counters to open in case you arrived at the airport way ahead of time. (Usually, airline counters open only 2.5 hours before boarding time; 3 hours at most)
How to Web Check-In (via Cebu Pacific)
1. Go to Cebu Pacific Website http://www.cebupacificair.com/ and click “Web Check-In” under “Manage Booking.”
2. You would be asked to choose from among options and enter details to identify your specific booking. Select “Submit”
3. In the “Web Check-in” tab, you will see details of your flight.
4. Click on “Select Seat” links to, well, select your seat. (do the same for all passengers in the booking)
5. Answer some luggage/baggage-related questions (these are basically for handling and immigration purposes; use ‘common sense’ but answer them with care)
6. Mark with a ‘check’ (select) the ticker box at the bottom agreeing “Yes, I have read…..restrictions,” and click “Check-in Now”
7. Print Boarding Pass by selecting “Print Boarding Pass” links.
If you did everything right, you’re done!
Personally, I just find Cebu Pacific’s current promo saying “Check-In online….and get an assigned seat for free! ” a little weird. Because when you try to select a different “regular” seat than was “assigned,” you are charged Php100 (about US$2). I know this is how it is even before, but the wordings of the “advertisement” is quite misleading.
Since the assignment is automated and the customer cannot change it anyway, it’s pretty useless. Of course, customers will expect to be assigned a seat (just like in traditional check-in) unless they allow standing passengers during plane take-off and landing. So I can’t find where the impression of ‘free’ benefit is.
In fact, this would be one advantage of the “traditional check-in.” I can always ask the counter personnel to get me any available window-seat for free in the real sense of the word.
Basic Web Check-in Service Guidelines (excerpts from CEB website)
1. When will the web check-in service be available?
Cebu Pacific web check-in service is already available in all of Cebu Pacific Airbus flights systemwide. You may check-in online for your flight 48 hours up to 4 hours before departure time.
2. Is there a web check-in fee?
There is no fee for checking in online.
3. Are there restrictions on the web check-in service?
Aside from the time restriction of 48 hours up to 4 hours before departure time, there are certain cases wherein we disallow web check-in as these would entail special handling. These are:
- Expectant mothers
- Unaccompanied minors
- Guests with reduced mobility, persons with disabilities and those with special needs
- Guests with infants
- Medical cases
- Group of 10 or more under 1 record
Further remember that after you have checked-in online, flight changes and cancellations are no longer allowed.