Learn Farm Tourism and More as ATI Offers Free Online Courses Amidst Quarantine
As the Coronavirus Covid-19 pandemic limits our movement with the extension of the enhanced community quarantine, now is as good a time as any to expand one’s knowledge and try other ventures such as organic farming, farm tourism, and more, even while inside our homes.
This is possible through the “e-Learning for Agriculture and Fisheries” of the Agricultural Training Institute (ATI). Launched in 2007, e-Learning is a component of the e-Extension Program of ATI, the training and extension arm of the Department of Agriculture (DA). The program offers alternative means of gaining new knowledge about farming for FREE.
With the need to increase food production efforts amid the fight against a global pandemic, e-Learning is seen to boost the DA’s nationwide promotion of urban agriculture and community farming under the “Plant, Plant, Plant” Program.
“The main reason I tried e-Learning is that I wanted to learn more about agriculture as well as develop some skills necessary for my professional development as an agriculturist and a teacher,” Ronel De Guzman, an instructor at President Ramon Magsaysay State University in Zambales shared.
He added how much he is enjoying learning through this platform and thinks that this is a more productive use of his internet connection and electronic gadgets.
Over 92,700 Filipinos are currently registered in the e-Learning site—a huge increase from the 87,200 enrollees recorded before the quarantine measures were in place. At present, there are more than 60 online courses offered for free, which cover crops, livestock and poultry, fisheries, social technology, and sustainable agriculture.
Some of the e-Learning courses are on basic urban gardening, Good Agricultural Practices for vegetable production, and production technologies for straw mushroom, tomato, banana, citrus fruits, and yam, among others. Basic beekeeping, goat-raising, and quail production courses are also available through the portal.
Under the social technology category, courses on product costing, marketing, food safety, and even effective human communication and community organizing may be accessed. Sustainable agriculture practices such as the production of organic fertilizers, vermicompost, and mokusaku (wood vinegar) are also open to interested users.
Depending on one’s pace, most of the courses can be completed within a day. After which, the e-Learner receives an electronic certificate that can be downloaded from the site.
List of COURSES: e-Learning for Agriculture and Fisheries
1. Sweet Hairy Balls Rambutan Production
2. Juan and Coffee Talk: Robusta Coffee Production
3. LET’s Grow KAMATIS: Tomato Production Guide
4. Cassavay sa Pag-asenso: Roots of Productivity (CASSAVA1)
5. CASSAVAy sa Pag-asenso: Primary Processing and its Market (CASSAVA2)
6. Rise and Grind: Coffee Processing as an Enterprise (COFFEE3)
7. Good Agricultural Practices for Vegetable Production (GAP1)
8. Cultivating Earth’s Sweet Crop: The Sweet Potato (SweetPotato1)
9. Adlay Adds Life: Introduction to Adlay Production & Product Development(Adlay1)
10. Jackfruit Nursery Management (Jackfruit2)
11. Gold in Grains: Cultural Management for Soybean (Soybean1)
12. Queen Pineapple Production and Postharvest Technology (Pineapple2)
13. Online Course on Mechanized Rice Transplanting Technology (Mech3)
14. Basic Urban Gardening (Urban1)
15. Managing Common Diseases in Banana (Banana1)
16. Saving The Lost Harvest: Introductory Course On Rice Post Production Technologies (Mech2)
17. Abaca Nursery Establishment and Management (Abaca3)
18. Treasure in Threads: Pinya Fiber Processing (Pineapple1)
19. Cultural Management Practices of Abaca (Abaca1)
20. Abaca Pest Management (Abaca2)
21. Growing Bamboo for Profit and a Healthy Environment(Bamboo1)
22. Integrated Pest Management for Banana (Banana2)
23. Growing Banana in the Tropics (Banana3)
24. Citrus Growing: A Promising Enterprise (Citrus1)
25. Savoring the Green Brew: Arabica Coffee Production (Coffee1)
26. From Seed to Seed: Online Course on Corn Production (Corn1)
27. Growing Durian the Better Way (Durian1) [OFFLINE]
28. Production of High Value Crops in Greenhouse (Greenhouse1)
29. Jackfruit Production (Jackfruit1).
30. Go Mango, Hit the Jackpot! Online Course on Mango Production (Mango1) [OFFLINE]
31. Increasing Corn Farm Productivity through Mechanization Technologies (Mech1)
32. Straw Mushroom Growing: A Viable Agri-Enterprise (Mushroom1)
33. Growing Vanda and Vandaceous Orchids (Orchid1)
34. Yummy Yam: Ubi Production (Yam1)
1. Basic Beekeeping (BEE1)
2. Advanced Beekeeping (BEEKEEPING 2)
3. Establishing Feed Resources for Your Goats (Goat1).
4. Starting a Slaughter Goat Enterprise (Goat2)
5. Technological Alternatives to Traditional Goat Breeding (Goat3)
6. Technological Alternatives to Traditional Feeding Management (Goat4).
7. Technological Alternatives to Traditional Herd Health (GOAT5)
8. AI at Your Cervix: Artificial Insemination Course for Raisers (GOAT7)
9. AI at You Cervix: Artificial Insemination Course for Technicians (GOAT8)
10. Meetylicious Meeh: Slaughtering and Cutting Standards for Goat (GOAT9)
11. Hail the Quail. Online Course on Quail Production (Quail1)
12. Walang Aray sa AI: Artificial Insemination in Pigs (Pig1)
13. Mastering the ABCs of Pig Production (Pig2)
MARINE AND FISHERIES
1. Taste the Creamiest Cream Dory: Online Course on the Culture and Utilization of
2. Pangasius (Pangasius1)
3. Seaweed Farming (Seaweed1)
1. Product Costing Made Easy (PTTC-COSTING1)
2. Food Safety in Trade (PTTC-FOOD1)
3. Online Course on Training Management (TM1)
4. Lika! Usap Tayo: Effective Human Communication and Human Relations (COMM1)
5. Getting the Big Bucks: Guide to Grant Proposal Writing (Writing1)
6. Changing People’s Lives Through Effective Extension Delivery (EDS1)
7. Working Together Works: An Online Course on Community Organizing (CommOrg1)
8. Basic Agricultural Marketing Extension (Agrimark1)
1. Growing Carrot the Natural Way (CARROT1)
2. Improving Quality of Life: Growing Rice Organically (ORICE1)
3. Climate Change 101: Understanding Climate Change in Agri-Fisheries (CC101)
4. Mokusaku: Wood Vinegar Production (WOODVIN1)
5. Online Course on Organic Fertilizer for SA (Organic1)
6. Vermicomposting: Turning Trash to Cash (Vermi1)
7. Green Farming with Integrated Rice-Duck Farming (IRDFS1)
8. DEMO COURSE- Insects Away the Alternative Way (APM1)
“The e-Learning courses being offered are really wonderful. [I like that] these are short but concise courses depending on the topic. Also, if you want, you get to apply the planting techniques right away, whether you have a small or big space, and especially now that almost everyone is staying home,” 56- year-old Alberto Ang from Caloocan City said.
Ang has finished around five courses so far, most of which are on sustainable agriculture technologies. He proudly shares his love for farming in his backyard by recycling plastic containers to grow vegetables like okra, tomato, and even chili pepper.
Looking for more travel news and adventures with Let’s Go Sago? Subscribing to our blog through email and like the LGS Facebook Page. Follow our Twitter and Instagram accounts too!
Interested individuals may visit www.e-extension.gov.ph/elearning to create an account and enroll in any chosen course. For questions and concerns, chat with the ATI e-Learning team through facebook.com/atiinteractive or text the Farmers’ Contact Center at 0920-9462474. (Erika Vizcarra, ATI- Information Services Division)
First Urban Farm in Newport World Resorts Opens
The country’s pioneering integrated resort, Newport World Resorts, is taking a bolder step in its property-wide I Love Earth (ILE)...
A Christmas of Hope & Positivity as Century Park Hotel Holds Annual Tree Lighting
While the Christmas season in the Philippines start once the “ber” months kick in, the All Saint's Day and All...
Hot Deals to FAQs: Everything You Need to Know About the Upcoming 2022 Klook Travel Fest
The Klook Travel Fest is back and better than ever! With 2 years of lockdown and pandemic blues, this year's...
Easter Sunday Fun @ Diamond Hotel
Join the Easter Fun Day at Diamond Hotel Philippines tomorrow - April 17, 2022! The entire family can enjoy Arcade...
Sail & Stay: 2GO Preps Cebu w/ Affordable ‘Revenge Travels’
As more regions in the country open with less restrictions on leisure trips under the most relaxed Covid-19 alert level,...
Cebu Pacific announces trademark PISO sale
The Philippines’ leading carrier, Cebu Pacific (PSE: CEB) continues to make moments happen for everyone as it launches its trademark...